Children see two sets of teeth within the first ten years. Their teeth and gums are immature and tender; hence, supervising their dental hygiene is crucial to prevent bacterial germination and cavities. Dental checkups play an important role in building and maintaining kid’s dental health. But parents must look after their kid’s oral habits at home as well.
Our pediatric dentist in Pune gives some important tips for teaching good dental habits to kids.
For Children Below Five Years Age
- Parents are advised to regularly wipe the gums of babies below one and half years of age. This will clean gums and provide a smooth gum surface for teeth to erupt in alignment.
- Do not forget to wipe babies’ gum after feeding milk with a bottle.
- Do not let the baby sleep with milk bottles, as they prevent teeth eruption.
- Book the first dental appointment before your baby turns one.
- Visit dentist regularly
- Provide a super-soft brush to your tot and teach them the right brushing technique.
- Use fluoride toothpaste for children, as it prevents cavities.
Note– Supervise your child while brushing so that they do not gulp the tooth taste foam, which is harmful.
- Avoid rewarding them with chocolates and chewy food.
For Children Between Five to Ten years
Five to ten years children are grown-ups; at least big enough to follow your instructions. Hence, in this age bracket, supervision and habit formation plays an important role. The good dental habits inculcation include:
- Make them brush twice, once in the morning and then before bedtime, without fail.
- Ask them to floss
- Take them for regular dental visits.
- Avoid giving them sugary products. Instead, give them an alternative healthy food that is sweet.
- Supervise them not to prick their milk teeth while they are about to fall.
- Check their permanent teeth are in right alignment. However, dentists at our dental clinic in Pune indicate braces at the earliest if needed.
Adolescents have fully grown permanent teeth. However, most children get their dental correction with braces in adolescence. The best practices for maintaining healthy teeth in adolescence are:
- Brushing twice and flossing once a day
- Cleaning braces in the right way (if any)
- Eat healthy food that is rich in minerals and vitamins
- Avoid caffeine or caffeinated drinks as they stain teeth
- Visit your pediatric dentist in Pune without fail
Healthy habit formation ensures teeth longevity and prevents cavities. Also, dental visits should be mandatorily included in your healthy dental regime. Oswal Dental Clinic has been providing comprehensive dental care for all ages. Our pediatric dentist in Pune invigilates the deepest crevices in the mouth with special microscopic lenses and indicates dental corrections at the earliest, saving a lot of precious time and investment, and preventing absenteeism. So, choose Oswal Dental Clinic for absolute dental checkups.