Coronavirus or COVID-19 is a respiratory illness with symptoms almost similar to common cold and flu. It can affect any individual, but people with an underlying health condition or poor immune system are at higher risk of getting infected with this virus.
Till date, there is no vaccine or cure for this virus. Doctors are encouraging people to maintain good health and practise social distancing to avoid the transmission of the virus.
Many people don’t realize that maintaining good oral hygiene also plays a crucial role in preventing such contagious diseases such as COVID-19. In this blog, we will discuss the importance of good oral health and how it helps you prevent illnesses and infection during this pandemic. If you are suffering from any dental emergencies then consult our Oswal dental dentist in Pune.
COVID-19 and Oral Health
The coronavirus can actively stay on a surface for up to three days. It means the virus can also be present on your toothbrush. You can undoubtedly disinfect the toothbrushes using hydrogen peroxide, and kill the harmful virus by dipping the toothbrushes for at least 15 minutes.
Doctors also suggest not to use one electric toothbrush for more than 1-2 months. If you recently had flu, tooth infection, or healing from any health condition, make sure to change your toothbrush once you heal completely. Other tips include:
- Keep your toothbrush in such a manner that it doesn’t come in contact with bacteria, germs, or other harmful microorganisms.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash to rinse your mouth at least twice a day.
- Use fluoridated toothpaste to brush your teeth twice a day.
- Floss your teeth daily to remove plaque buildup
- Quit smoking and limit your alcohol consumption
- Wash your hands with hand sanitizer, soap, or clean water to wash off the bacteria.
- Without washing the hands, do not touch your mouth or face.
- Avoid biting your nails to refrain further spread of COVID-19 virus.
To learn more about dental problems and dental solutions, get in touch with our expert professionals at Oswal Dental Clinic. Our oral and maxillofacial surgeon in Pune offers world-class dental surgeries and emergency treatment while maintaining all safety protocols and guidelines.